Monday, April 8, 2019

Post 11: New Literary

I took a look at several of the articles.  The new literacy glossary and the article from NPR stood out the most to me.  Fake news is really something that we need to teach students about.  I remember being in school and never learning about fake news.  I almost think that if we do not teach students about fake news then we are doing them a disservice for preparing for the real world.  I am looking into teaching about fake news for our upcoming writing unit where students will be doing some research.  The NPR article would be a great way to teach students some vocabulary for checking out news to begin deciding if it is accurate and from a reputable source.  I liked the lesson plan where there were some fake news stories and forcing students to decide pretty quickly if they were real or not.  However, I feel I would need to bring them down a few levels some of the material seemed more secondary and not at an elementary level.  Students at the elementary level have a hard time determining information from the news since they often just "parrot" what their parents say.  I think it would be best if I begin my research unit teaching how to actually research check news.  We might bring in newspaper clippings discussing sources about different stories.  Eventually we could build up to students doing their own research.  We would have to being with teacher modeling and working together first.

1 comment:

  1. You probably learned about assessing news the way I did, reading newspapers, watching TV news, etc. And then being challenged to think critically about the content. I'll be very happy the day the phrase "fake news" disappears from use!

    ReplyDelete